Wednesday 16 October 2013

Proposal for Music Magazine

Proposal Form for Music Magazine
The target audience my magazine will be aimed at is teenagers/young adults between the ages of 14-22 who frequently listen to indie rock and like the ideals represented by the genre. It will appeal more likely to males as they on average read more music magazines and are more likely to want to buy it. The research I conducted showed Kerrang and NME were the highest read by my target audience so my own magazine will follow partly of their format.
The main image for my cover will be a medium long shot of a male with an instrument of some kind, most likely a guitar as guitarists are most easily recognised in a band. They will pose with the guitar but a fierce/strong look like they don't need to be there as rock artists as they only need their music. This will make the magazine adhere to the genre and grab the attention of the target audience. I will get this image by finding a suitable background, such as a dark/cool colour such as grey or black as this will make my image subject stand out and taking a picture of someone I know who has the right look of a indie rock image e.g. long hair, tweed, acoustic guitar etc. 
The genre of my magazine is indie rock as there is a gap in the market for a specifically tailored magazine and it is a well liked genre according to my research. The typical content of the magazine will be; interviews with the bands, news, reviews, gossip, new instrument technology and upcoming gigs/tours. I found these to be typical of rock magazines and also through my questionnaire research. The magazine will be 28cm height and 21cm width as it is typical to a standard sized magazine and is the right size to fit all my content.
The cover lines will be edgy to the genre and the main feature will be toward the band. Cover lines such as; "Hydrolic Empire-We don't wanna be sued", "Photo-shoot with an arsonist-Its the music, not the guns that I like", "Social Hand Grenade-London Riots", "In The Bushes-Their biggest year ever!" and others that fit to bands and general music content.
The titles I tried were; Honour, Steel, Smooth, Bucket, Iron Rock as short quick titles work best with magazines as they can be easily recognised and remembered. I did not choose those however as they do not give enough information toward the magazine. I chose the title "Rocket Ship" as the tagline "the music is out of this world!" linked well. It also has the word 'rock' so the audience knows the genre of music straight away if they did not get it from the cover. It also links to the song "Rocketship" by Daniel Johnston which has an eery underlay to it but is ultimately a good song. 
For a font I want something bold to stand out when people see it and they will automatically know what the magazine is as it would become the trademark font. Therefore, I have looked at several different fonts and chosen Rockwell Extra Bold as it is strong and continues on the theme of the genre. I want the masthead to be the top word with the second word underneath to make it stacked and to be more ascetically pleasing to read rather than just a long word across the top. I may use a tagline such as "The music is out of this world!" as it is colloquial and links to the title as rockets frequent space and with the exclamatory it gives the words a more powerful impact on audiences.
It will be published fortnightly as that creates enough revenue and profit to keep the magazine going and generates enough interest from buyers. It also keeps up to date with the latest news but without bothering readers with the same information. I will use the colours red and black as they stand out and compliment each other, they are also well recognised for the genre of rock and can amplify emotional response from the target audience.
The average price of music magazines is £3.00-£6.00 so I will make mine £3.99 as people will not see that as being too much but it is enough so they know the magazine will be packed. I will also offer an inside additional selling point like a free poster as the audience will see that as them getting more money.
________________________________________________________________________
Eleanor Wemyss

No comments:

Post a Comment